IS&GS News Archive
- No Threat Left Undetected
- On-Demand Access to Shared Computer Resources
- Revolutionizing Fingerprints
- Interoperability Provides Secure Electronic Health Records
- Shaping the Future Through Advanced R&D
- Teaming for Dominance Against Cyber Crime
- Searching and Streaming: Full Motion Video Gets an Upgrade
- Staying Connected: Lockheed Martin Team Wins GSM-O
- Stop, Think, Connect: Lockheed Martin Hosts Cyber Security Awareness Day
- Oil & Gas: Adapting solutions to a new market
- Lockheed Martin Flight Services Team Supports History-Making Jump
- Inspiring Girls in Cyber Security
- Diving In
- Superstorm Met by Super Partnership
- Advanced Technology & Innovation Drive Vision to Reality
- Connecting Communities to Business Strategy
- NexGen Cyber Innovation & Technology Center
On-Demand Access to Shared Computer Resources
In this new decade, the demand for instant access to information at our fingertips has reached new heights. Our customers are looking to Lockheed Martin to keep their data securely flowing anywhere, anytime. As the number one provider of IT solutions to the government, IS&GS is embracing this challenge and looking to the sky.
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing is a model for enabling on-demand access to shared computing resources including networks, servers, applications and services via the Internet. Examples include webmail services such as Yahoo! Mail and the Unity and SharePoint applications used across Lockheed Martin.
To our customers, the adoption of cloud computing is critical to their efforts to combat economic constraints and a key enabler for achieving operational efficiency and effective management of their large scale IT programs.
“As a leader in cyber security, IS&GS adds another characteristic to that list — a secure platform,” said IS&GS Chief Technology Officer Rick Johnson. “When our customers entrust their classified data to us, we must guarantee that it is protected.”
IS&GS Cloud Strategy — SolaS™
The IS&GS cloud computing strategy leverages our current system integration capabilities and cloud solutions to form a new set of business and operating models called Solutions as a Service (SolaS). Our Product Lines, Chief Information Office (CIO) and Chief Technology Office (CTO) are already utilizing SolaS models to build mission-focused solutions.
For example, the IS&GS-National team is working to help the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA) realize its vision for online, on-demand access to Geospatial Intelligence (GEOINT) knowledge by collaborating with the Net-Centric Operations Industry Consortium (NCOIC) to map out a cloud computing architecture that can create a global GEOINT network at an affordable price.
IS&GS Internal Cloud Services
Recently, the IS&GS CIO implemented numerous advanced technologies into the IS&GS General Computing Infrastructure (GCI) in order to migrate our systems toward cloud computing.
“The IS&GS CIO team is positioned to transform the GCI into a more efficient, reliable, cost-effective, internal solution that will provide one-stop shopping for all of our infrastructure needs,” said IS&GS Vice President and Chief Information Officer Monica McManus. “Upgrading our systems to utilize cloud is just another step toward affordability and efficiency for IS&GS.”
Posted on December 5, 2011