LOCKHEED MARTIN CELEBRATES SPACE DAY WITH JEFFERSON ELEMENTARY
NEW ORLEANS, LA., 05-MAY-05 -- Today, students at Jefferson Elementary will participate in a number of activities commemorating Space Day -- a day that promotes science, math and technology education by inspiring children to realize the vision of our space pioneers.
Jefferson Elementary is a partner school with Lockheed Martin whose employees build the Space Shuttle External Tank at the NASA Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans.
Students will also be signing giant postcards that they will send to the next astronaut crew now slated to Return to Flight in July.
The activities will begin at 10 a.m. and continue until 2:30 p.m. at Jefferson Elementary located at 375 Vinet or 4400 Jefferson Highway, west of Ochsner Foundation Hospital. Media are invited to attend any of the activities.
Space Day schedule:
- 10 – 10:45 a.m. External Tank technology show for 4th and 5th graders
- 10:45 – 11:45 a.m. Lockheed Martin employees visit classrooms
- 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. More classroom visits
- 1:30 p.m. Students perform a Return to Flight play for Pre-K thru 2nd grades
- 2 p.m. Students perform Return to Flight play for 3rd, 4th and 5th grades
Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Michoud Operations also designs and assembles large aluminum and composite structures for aerospace and other applications.