Offering Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) firepower on a wheeled chassis, the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) is the newest member of the MLRS launcher family. HIMARS carries a single six-pack of rockets or one ATACMS missile on the Army's Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles (FMTV) 5-ton truck, and can launch the entire MLRS family of munitions. It was successfully combat-tested in Operation Iraqi Freedom. HIMARS is C-130 transportable and can be deployed into areas previously inaccessible to heavier launchers. It also incorporates the self-loading, autonomous features that have made MLRS the premier rocket artillery system in the world. The HIMARS fire control system, electronics and communications units are interchangeable with the existing MLRS M270A1 launcher, and the crew and training are the same.
HIMARS Key Features
- MLRS tactics, training and munitions.
- C-130 transportable (combat loaded).
- Heavyweight fire support for early entry and light forces.
- Maximum commonality with the M270A1 fire control system.
- First unit equipped in CY05.
- Combat proven in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- Future Force capability supports a lighter, more mobile fighting force.
HIMARS is a registered trademark of Lockheed Martin Corporation.
MLRS is a registered trademark of Lockheed Martin Corporation.