- In the Community
- Corporate Governance
- Diversity and Equal Opportunity
Energy, Environment, Safety and Health
- Our Commitment
- Safety and Health
- Energy and Environmental Stewardship
- Product Stewardship
- Beaumont, CA
- Burbank, CA
- Redlands, Loma Linda, Riverside, CA
- Akron, OH
- Tallevast, FL
- Burlington, MA
- Wilmington, MA
- Martin State Airport, MD
- Middle River, MD
- East Windsor, NJ
- Moorestown, NJ
- North Plainfield, NJ
- Great Neck, NY
- Liverpool, NY
- New Hartford, NY
- Utica, NY
- The Dalles, OR
- Goldendale, WA
- Seattle, WA
- Valley Forge, PA
- Lockheed Martin International
- Our History
- Social Media
- Our Businesses
SOLVENT DOCK AREA
In the mid-1990s, Lockheed Martin determined that industrial chemicals (solvents) from the Solvent Dock Area in the rear of the French Road building were moving through groundwater and entering the storm sewer system.
- The site is located at 525 French Road, in the City of Utica.
- Lockheed Martin installed a groundwater treatment system, which is still in operation and continues to meet all regulatory standards.
- Lockheed Martin is conducting a comprehensive remedial investigation to determine environmental conditions at the site, develop a plan to remediate the site if necessary, and implement a cleanup.
- NYSDEC issued an Order on Consent to Lockheed Martin effective October 3, 2008.
- The Order identifies areas of concern and requires the completion of certain investigation work, the development of proposed corrective measures, and the implementation of those measures after approval by NYSDEC.
The purpose of the current study is to gain a better understanding of any residual environmental contamination at the site.
The goals of the investigation are:
- Identify areas of the site that have been affected by contamination;
- Identify the source(s) of that contamination;
- Determine if the contamination poses any risks to public health and the environment
- Gather information needed to develop a proposed remedy to address the contamination.
- The investigation is being performed by Lockheed Martin Corporation with oversight by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) and the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH).
Site Work to be Completed Under supervision by NYSDEC
Lockheed Martin will:
- Investigate potential on and off-site impacts to soil, groundwater and indoor air
- Assess the status of current and historic underground storage tanks that have not received approved NYSDEC closure status;
- Evaluate the performance of a system to prevent soil vapors from entering the building
- Evaluate the performance of the existing groundwater treatment system.
- Based upon the results of these studies Lockheed Martin will submit a report (Corrective Measures Study) to NYSDEC that describes recommended courses of action for any of the areas of concern that are identified.
- NYSDEC will use this report to select appropriate corrective measures and issue a Statement of Basis as described below.
STATEMENT OF BASIS
Following the preparation of the Corrective Measures Study, NYSDEC will issue a draft Statement of Basis for public review and comment.
- The Draft Statement of Basis summarizes the known environmental conditions at the site and selects the most appropriate corrective measures to complete clean up of the site.
- NYSDEC will issue a notice in the newspaper accompanied by a fact sheet announcing that this document is available for public review, explain how you can get further information, and how you can submit comments on the draft.
- The notice will also provide information on a public availability session where you can ask questions of representatives from NYSDEC, NYSDOH and Lockheed Martin.
- After the Department has addressed all of the public comments, it will issue a final Statement of Basis that will specify the actions that Lockheed Martin must take to complete the environmental cleanup of the site.
If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact:
Mékell Mikell Corporate Communications
- 4th Quarter 2015 Corrective Action Progress Report
- 3rd Quarter 2015 Corrective Action Progress Report
- 2015 Annual Vapor Intrusion Study, Solvent Dock Area
- Assessment of Potential Soil Vapor Intrusion West Portion Faciility 08 24 2015
- Summary of Indium Soil Vapor Monitoring Points Decommissioning 09 02 2015
- 2nd Quarter 2015 Corrective Action Progress Report
- 1st Quarter 2015 Corrective Action Progress Report
- Final Statement of Basis Corrective Measures Selection March 2015
- 2014 Annual Vapor Intrusion Study, Solvent Dock Area
- Summary Report for Startup of SDS-8 January 28, 2014
- 2014 Annual Groundwater Collection & Treatment System OMM Report
- 2014 Annual Sub-Slab Depressurization System Report
- 2014 Annual Vapor Intrusion Study, Solvent Dock Area
- 2014 Annual Groundwater Monitoring Report
- Fourth Quarter 2014 Corrective Action Progress Report
- Third Quarter 2014 Corrective Action Progress Report
- Second Quarter 2014 Corrective Action Progress Report
- First Quarter 2014 Corrective Action Progress Report
- 2013 Annual Groundwater Monitoring Report
- 2013 Annual Groundwater Collection and Treatment System OMM Report
- 2013 Annual Sub Slab Depressurization System OMM Report
- Corrective Measures Study December 2013
- Summary Report on Surface Soil Sampling Activities December 27, 2013
- Fourth Quarter 2013 Corrective Action Progress Report
- Summary Report for SSDS Pilot Test in Area VMP-7A, July 2013
- Third Quarter 2013 Corrective Action Progress Report
- Second Quarter 2013 Corrective Action Progress Report, July 2013
- Former Northern Perimeter Ditch Off-Site Vapor Intrusion Pathway Evaluation Report, April 2013
- First Quarter 2013 Corrective Action Progress Report, April 2013
- 2012 Annual Vapor Intrusion Study Report for the Solvent Dock Area, May 2012
- 2012 Annual Sub-Slab Depressurization System Operation, Maintenance, and Monitoring Report, March 2013
- 2012 Annual Groundwater Collection and Treatment System Operation, Maintenance, and Monitoring Report
- 2012 Annual Groundwater Monitoring Report
- Evaluation Report on SSDS Performance in Area of VMP-7A November 2012
- Fourth Quarter 2012 Corrective Action Progress Report, January 2013
- Sub Slab Depressurization System Operations, Maintenance & Monitoring Report March 2012
- Annual Vapor Intrusion Study Report May 2012
- 2nd Qtr 2012 Corrective Action Progress Report
- 3rd Qtr 2012 Corrective Action Progress Report
- 1st Quarter 2012 Corrective Action Progress Report - April 2012
- 2011 Annual Groundwater Collection & Treatment System Operation, Maintenance & Monitoring Report
- 2011 Annual Groundwater Monitoring Report - February 2012
- Waste Water Treatment Plant Monitoring Report - July 2011
- Second Quarter 2011 Corrective Action Progress Report - July 2011
- Annual Vapor-Intrusion Study Report - Revised July 2011
- Monitored Natural Attenuation Plan - March 2011
- Post-Indicator Valve Repair Summary Report - March 2011
- Northern Perimeter Ditch Supplemental Investigation Report - March 2011
- Fourth Quarter 2010 Corrective Action Progress Report
- Third Quarter 2010 Corrective Action Progress Report - October 2010
- Report on Final Closure Activities of the Wastewater Treatment Plant - August 2, 2010
- Second Quarter 2010 Corrective Action Report - July 2010
- First Quarter 2010 Corrective Action Progress Report - April 2010
- Abandonment of Monitoring Well MW-8 - July 2, 2010
- 2010 Annual Vapor-Intrusion Study Report for the Solvent Dock Area
- Waste Water Treatment Plant Inspection Findings Report, February 2010
- Annual Post-Mitigation Vapor Intrusion Study - January 2010
- Fourth Quarter 2009 Corrective Action Progress Report - January 2010
- Supplemental Investigation Report - January 25, 2010
- Site Management Plan 10 2009
- Third Quarter 2009 Corrective Action Progress Report
- Quality Assurance Project Plan
- Second Quarter 2009 Corrective Action Report - July 2009
- First Quarter 2009 Corrective Action Progress Report
- Order on Consent, Index Number: 6-20080321-5 - April 2009
- Solvent Dock Area Factsheet
- Corrective Measures Study Report, March 2009
- Corrective Measures Study Report - June 2009
- Tank Status Report, Revised Dec. 1, 2008
- Final Order on Consent, October 3, 2008
- Addendum to the Vapor Intrusion Study Report, February 2008