- In the Community
- Corporate Governance
- Diversity and Equal Opportunity
Energy, Environment, Safety and Health
- Our Commitment
- Safety and Health
- Energy and Environmental Stewardship
- Product Stewardship
- Beaumont, CA
- Burbank, CA
- Redlands, Loma Linda, Riverside, CA
- Akron, OH
- Tallevast, FL
- Burlington, MA
- Wilmington, MA
- Martin State Airport, MD
- Middle River, MD
- East Windsor, NJ
- Moorestown, NJ
- North Plainfield, NJ
- Great Neck, NY
- Liverpool, NY
- Utica, NY
- The Dalles, OR
- Goldendale, WA
- Seattle, WA
- Valley Forge, PA
- Lockheed Martin International
- Our History
- Social Media
- Our Businesses
UTICA, NEW YORK
From the early 1950s through 1993, the General Electric Company (GE) manufactured, assembled and tested electrical components for the defense and aerospace industries at the French Road facility in Utica, New York.
- In the early 1950’s, General Electric Company (GE) acquired
property measuring approximately 55 acres on French Road in
Utica, New York and constructed an approximate 500,000 square foot manufacturing plant.
- Production operations conducted by GE at this plant included the manufacture, assembly and testing of electrical components for the defense and aerospace industries (e.g.,radar, aircraft guidance systems).
- These production operations were conducted by GE until April 1993, when the facility was acquired by Martin Marietta Corporation.
- In March 1995, Martin Marietta merged with Lockheed Corporation to form Lockheed Martin Corporation.
- In March 1996, Lockheed Martin sold the property to Pinnacle Park, Inc., which subsequently transferred the property to and leased it back from the Oneida County Industrial Development Agency (OCIDA).
- ConMed Corporation, a company that manufactures and distributes medical supplies, now occupies the facility under a lease with OCIDA.
- Lockheed Martin no longer owns the site, but it has retained responsibility for implementing environmental remediation at the facility.
- The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) and the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) are overseeing the work.remediation efforts.
Lockheed Martin work includes two locations at the facility:
If you have questions, please contact Corporate Communications
1950’s - General Electric Company (GE) acquired property
1970's - West Lot site used for fire fighting training.
1990's - Extensive investigation of soil and groundwater was conducted
April 1993 - Facility was acquired by Martin Marietta Corporation
1993 - Martin Marietta entered into an Order on Consent for the West Lot Site
1994 -Soil from the burn pit area was excavated and placed into a containment cell as an interim remedial measure.
1995 - The Remedial Investigaton was completed
March 1995 - Martin Marietta merged with Lockheed to form Lockheed Martin Corporation.
March 1996 - Lockheed Martin sold the property to Pinnacle Park, Inc.
1997 - Feasibility Study was completed
1999 - Further excavation activities were conducted and completed to remove additional impacted soil from the former burn pit area.
2001 - 2002 - Groundwater extraction system was installed became fully operational.
2001 - 2007 - The groundwater remedy operated, at which time it was approved for shutdown by the NYSDEC.
2005 - Further soil removal in the burn pit area was conducted to enhance the groundwater cleanup.
January 2007 - The extraction well was shut down,
October 2008 - NYSDEC issued an Order on Consent to Lockheed Martin.