The New Standard in Long-Duration Energy Storage
For over 86 years, Lockheed Martin has invested in resilient, smart and safe energy technologies. As the clean energy evolution continues, the current dominant technologies cannot provide the durable, flexible and distributed energy storage required to sustain power for extended durations. That’s why we developed GridStar® Flow.
GridStar Flow is an innovative redox flow battery solution designed for long-duration, large-capacity energy storage applications. The patented technology is based on the principles of coordination chemistry, offering a new electrochemistry consisting of engineered electrolytes made from earth-abundant materials. These properties enable GridStar Flow to counter anticipated and unforeseen grid disruptions by a robust and flexible long-duration, clean energy storage solution with a competitive total cost of ownership.
Gridstar Flow Applications
- Renewable generation bulk shifting (large amounts of energy for many hours)
- Large-scale transmission & distribution deferral
- Peaking unit replacement (traditionally combustion turbines or internal combustion engines)
- Day-head, real-time and ancillary market optimization
- Multi-day and portfolio optimization
- Resiliency, particularly in microgrids, islands, and military installations
How GridStar Flow Works
GridStar Flow Features
- Optimized for 6+ hours of flexible discharge
- Flexibility to switch between products to maximize revenue
- 100 percent depth-of-discharge with minimal degradation
- A design life of 20 years
- Ability to size energy and power independently
- Mildly alkaline, aqueous electrolytes that are safe (nonflammable, noncorrosive, stable)
- Competitive total cost of ownership
GridStar Flow achieves 100% depth-of-discharge with minimal degradation across multiple applications with a design life of 20 years.
GridStar Flow’s flexibility maximizes value by enabling a wide variety of applications, allowing the system to meet market needs today and in the future.
- Architecture: Power and energy are decoupled, providing customers the flexibility to customize GridStar Flow to their specific needs.
- Optionality: GridStar Flow is uniquely capable of providing a wide range of products and switching between applications over any time period.
- Siting: GridStar Flow can be flexibly and safely sited in a variety of environments.
The positive and negative electrolytes in GridStar Flow use active materials dissolved in water. They are nonflammable, noncorrosive, and stable, making GridStar Flow a safe solution.
Competitive Total Cost of Ownership
GridStar Flow is optimized to offer competitive TCO over the design life. GridStar Flow’s TCO includes all costs for initial installation, system replenishment, maintenance, and energy loss.
GridStar is a trademark of Lockheed Martin Corporation